Baptism is the first of the seven sacraments, and the "door" which gives access to the other sacraments. The rite of Baptism consists in immersing the candidate in water, or pouring water on the head, while pronouncing the invocation of the Most Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (CCC 977, 1278).
Steps to have your child baptized at St. Mary's or Our Lady of Grace:
1.) Study the Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraphs 1213-1284. If you don't own a Catechism, you may find it online at http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/INDEX.HTM
2.) Schedule an appointment with Deacon Bill for a theological interview by calling him at 231-329-9504.
3.) Be prepared to answer the following questions:
Why are infants baptized?
What are the effects of baptism?
In the rite of baptism, what do the parents provide on behalf of the child?
What responsibilities are the parents accepting at baptism?
What are the five precepts of the Church? (You will need to "search" on your own to find the answer to this question.)
Do you solemnly promise to adhere to the five precepts of the Church?
After your theological interview, the necessary paperwork will be completed and the date of the baptism will be set through the parish secretaries. Please be sure to talk with them to set the date: 231-722-2803, ext. 11 or ext. 12.
Please note that there are no baptisms celebrated during Lent except in the case of an emergency.
Requirements for Godparents
1. Godparents must be at least 16 years old.
2. If there is only one godparent, he or she must be a Catholic.
3. If there are two godparents, there must be one male and one female. At least one must be a Catholic. The other may be a non-Catholic sponsor as long as he or she is a baptized Christian.
4. Any Catholic who serves as a godparent must be confirmed.
5. Any person who serves as a godparent or sponsor should be actively practicing their faith.
6. Catholic godparents who are not members of St. Mary’s or Our Lady of Grace parishes must submit proof that they are active members of a parish and are suitable for the role of godparent. They must ask their pastor to send written verification to the pastor of St. Mary’s and Our Lady of Grace.
Please call the Parish office for more information.
Fr. Matthew Barnum